Monday, 4 November 2013

Race A Speedboat

Race a Speedboat
Can you make a paper boat race across the water just by gently touching the surface of the water with dishwashing liquid?
Hypothesis:
I think that the dishwashing liquid would make bubbles and when the bubbles pop it would let out air and then the air will push the boat.





Materials
Coloured card, dishwashing liquid, scissors, large container of water.


Method:
So first I cutted out a boat out of the coloured card, then I put my boat into the water, then I got a drop of dishwashing liquid and then lightly touched the top of the water behind the boat, then the boat sailed away from where I touched the water like someone was blowing it.




Observation
When I put my finger in the water behind my boat, it sailed away from my finger!





Conclusion:
I think it happened because paper and dishwasher liquid don't go together so instead of mixing, they push away from each other



Short Experiment to Follow Up
Make Metal Float
Gently place a paperclip on the water’s surface.


Hypothesis:
I think it’s gonna sink because the paper clip has gaps when the paper had no gaps.


Observation:
When Elijah did it by holding it from the top, it just sank but when Henry did it by holding from the bottom, it floated and there was like a water trench around the paper clip!



Conclusion:

I think it happened because Elijah was putting weight on top of the paper clip  and henry was putting weight under the paper clip.
Look at that little happy family. :-]

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work Marcus.
    I like you amazing writing.
    Did you enjoy doing this science experiment?
    Well done.
    Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Marcus.
    That's really cool!
    I like that.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...